Since I’ve been struggling to identify a topic for this week’s blog post, I decided to turn inward for inspiration. Or, more specifically, I’m reflecting on my personal transition in the past year moving from the agency side to working in-house. I’ve worked for non-profit and small and large agencies for five years, including Ketchum, here in New York. At the beginning of this year, I joined the corporate communications team at Time Warner Inc.As most of my agency friends have joked with me, one of the easiest changes has been not tracking my time. I will admit that I have no regret in leaving this necessary, but tedious task behind. Especially considering that my former client, FedEx, was one of the agency’s largest and required dozens of billing codes across the account. For those of you working in agencies, I’m sure you can appreciate how much work it takes to manage all those project codes!
I loved working for this client and learned a great deal from the variety of projects we supported. I also benefited from learning how to manage my time with competing demands. In my previous role, I balanced multiple client requests on an hourly basis, researched and developed campaign materials (sometimes within 24 hours or less!) and pitched and secured media opportunities on a regular basis. I also learned how to quickly solve problems while thinking on my feet and how to provide my clients with insights and strategic communications recommendations that addressed their business challenges and opportunities.
I’m learning that while my background and experience on the agency side has served me well in my new position and company, there is still a great deal to learn! For starters, I primarily worked on the external communications side in my old agency jobs. The projects I supported ranged from enterprise-wide CSR campaigns and local market outreach events to product/service launches and media relations support during the client’s busiest shipping time of the year: the peak holiday season.
Now that I work in corporate communications, I’m learning a brand new area of tactics and strategies. I focus on crafting messages about our business and internal company policies, so that they are clear, actionable and resonate with employees. I work with an amazing team to create internal campaigns that promote company or department-specific initiatives.
A lot of our campaigns involve the development of creative marketing collateral, including brochures, videos, elevator wraps, micro-sites, e-vites and more. I’ve had a lot of fun drafting content or working with vendors to create these materials. And it’s always fulfilling to see the finished product around the building or watch employees engage with a campaign that my team developed.
I also oversee our weekly company e-newsletter, where we provide employees with important company announcements, updates on upcoming events and articles about the exciting content our divisions (HBO, Time Inc., Turner Broadcasting System and Warner Bros.) are working on and producing. I’ve also learned basic HTML language and support an associate director with the management of our company intranet.
Although it was a tough choice to leave an agency and client that I loved working for and learned from every day, I’m glad that I took a step down a new path. I’m really enjoying my new role and look forward to growing my career with Time Warner. It’s only been six months, so I have a lot more to learn!
And eventually, I will stop thinking in 15-minute billable increments throughout the day.
Has anyone else recently transitioned to a new company or industry? How has the process been for you?
While I have never worked on the agency side and always as an in house corporate communicator, I can see the striking differences between the two roles when I work with consultants. On the pro side for an outside agency, I think professionals are often seen as counselors rather than tacticians and are able to voice their constructive criticisms with more ease. However, as an in house communicator, one is often much more in tune with the every day operations and strategy of the company, providing an informed edge. Sounds like the shift has been good for you. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteI would agree that this move sounds like it was a better fit for you.
ReplyDeleteI've worked in-house (for a law firm), in an agency as well as in my own business - agency. Even though I made the transition to a large agency, I left immediately to relaunch my own business for a variety of reasons - the most important being - there was no chain of command and structure. In the agency, I was unproductive because I felt completely lost.
If I ever decided to return to the corporate world, I would go in-house with a mid or large size company because things seem to be more streamlined and organized than agencies are.
I've been through many transitions and am currently learning how to career counsel people on making them. It certainly sounds like you made the right choice and are coming into a new improved version of yourself. I couldn't imagine tracking my time in 15 minute intervals! (You poor thing!)
ReplyDeleteEven when the work changes or the content of what you do changes, I think the most significant thing is usually the work environment. I went from working in loud newsrooms to the quietest office ever where people had headphones on, and it drove me crazy! Now I have my own office with a door! Which is amazing, but isolating at times... but it's much more comfortable for me to be quiet in here than next to a whole bunch of people with headphones on. Ugh. ;-)